Moving is stressful at any age and under any circumstance. But for adult children, having to move one or both parents from their long-lived home is emotionally and physically draining. The senior downsizing process involves a lot of work: finding the perfect new home, de-cluttering and selling items, and packing and moving a life’s worth of belongings into a smaller space. Yikes.
As children of parents who have possibly lived in the same home for decades, you have a quite a big job. Not only do you have to find a comfortable new living space that better suits your parents’ needs, but you also have to make this transition as seamless for them (and you) as possible.
That’s where senior moving services can help. Listed below are the top five reasons hiring a senior moving service might save you a lot of worry.
1. They are professionals at organizing. Senior downsizing and moving specialists wouldn’t do what they do if they weren’t excellent at organizational skills. They know taking too many items during a move will cause a cycle of cramming and rearranging. They know how to downsize a home so that seniors are only keeping the belongings they need. Instead of worrying about making everything fit into their new space, seniors and their family members can let the move specialists take charge and ensure a seamless transfer of their belongings.
2. It’s an impartial third party. Moving a parent is not just difficult because it’s a physical chore. It’s an emotional process, too. Especially if numerous children are involved in the move, family politics can get involved. The possessions at your parents’ old residence need new homes, and it’s not always easy deciding what should stay and what should go. A lot of those possessions are nostalgic and offer sentimental value. Senior moving specialists are there to help decide on what to toss, sell or donate. While they offer an empathetic understanding of the delicate situation at hand, they can serve as great decision makers in the “do I really need this?” de-cluttering thought process.
3. Seniors are in on the plan, while move specialists do the heavy lifting. It’s important to remind seniors that they are the ones in control, and they should feel comfortable with the moving plan. They are the directors in the moving “movie”. That’s why they are involved in each step of the planning, while senior moving services do the heavy lifting and physical tasks.
4. They know all the right people. Downsizing a home involves a lot of moving parts and services. When completing this project on your own, you might be asking yourself “where is the best place to move my parents?” or “who should I call for this and that?” Especially if it’s a senior downsizing company like Francie Stavish & Associates LLC that is well connected in the senior community, the specialists will have a network of real estate agents and professional movers, and interior designers in the area. Together, they can complete a huge project flawlessly before you know it.
5. They help make a new, foreign place a home. The fact that your parents have lived in the same home for years and now have to move somewhere completely foreign where they may not know anyone is, well, not comforting. That’s why some senior downsizing services include interior designing at the end of the process to make senior clients feel good about their new living space. Francie Stavish, for example, hired a highly recommended interior designer who plans with the client’s health and safety needs in mind. Stavish considers interior designing an important “final touch” in a move, to ensure clients feel safe and welcome in their new home.
With all that said, the most important thing at the end of the day is that Mom and Dad are taken care of. Senior moving services can be life-savers in assisting with that.
To learn more about senior downsizing and moving services, please visit https://franciestavish.com/contact/ and book a complimentary one-hour consultation.